- A vaginal sheath made of polyurethane and lubricated with monoxynol 9;
- The inner ring (closed end) covers the cervix. The outer ring )open end) sests against the vaginal opening;
- Intended for one-time use and should not be used in combination with male condoms
- It is 95% effective;
- It helps prevent the spread of STD;
- It can be purchased over-the-counter.
- The female condom is more expensive than the male condom;
- It can be difficult to use and has not gained as much acceptance as a male condom;
- Pregnancy can occur as a result of failure to use or incorrect use;
- It may break or become dislodge;
- It is contraindicated in people or partners with latex alleries.
- Instruct the person on how to insert the female condom;
- Advise the person that the condom may be inserted for up to 8 hours before intercourse;
- Reinforce that the female condom is for one-time use only and must be discarded after use.