Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Barrier Method: Diaphragm

Diaphragm and Spermicide

Diaphragm

Description

  • A barrier-type contraceptive that mechanically blocks sperm from entering the cervix;
  • Composed of a soft, latex dome that is supported by a round, metal spring on the outside;
  • A diaphragm can be inserted up to 2 hours before intercourse;
  • Optimum effectiveness is achieved by using it in combination with spermicidal jelly that is applied to ring of the diaphragm before it is inserted;
  • Diaphragms are available in various sizes and must be fitted to the individual.

Advantages

  • It is a good choice for people who choose not to use hormonal contraceptives or don't feel that they can be accurate in using natural family planning methods;
  • When combined with spermicidal jelly, its effectiveness ranges from 80% to 90% for new users and increases to 97% for long term users;
  • It causes few adverse reactions;
  • It can help protect against STDs when used with spermicide;
  • It does not alter the body's metabolic or physiologic process;
  • It can be inserted up to 2 hours before intercourse;
  • Providing it is correctly fitted and inserted, neither the partner can feel it during intercourse.

Disadvantages

  • Some people dislike using a diaphragm because it must be inserted before intercourse;
  • Although the diaphragm can be left in place for up to 24 hours, if intercourse is repeated before 6 hours (which is how long the diaphragm must be left in place after intercourse) more spermicidal gel must be inserted;
  • The diaphragm can't be removed and replaced because this could cause sperm to bypass the spermicidal gel and fertilization could occur;
  • It may cause more upper urinary tract infections (UITs) due to the pressure of the diaphragm on the urethra;
  • The diaphragm must be refitted after birth, cervical surgery, miscarriage, dilatation and curettage (D&C), therapeutic abortion, or wieght gain or loss of more than 15 lb (6.8kg) because of cervical shape changes;
  • It is contraindicated in people who have a history of cystocele, rectocele, uterine retroversion, proplapse, retroflexion, or anteflexion because the cervix position may be displaced, making insertion and proper fit questionable;
  • It is contraindicated in people with a history of toxic shock syndrome (TSS) or repeated UTIs, vaginal stenosis, pelvic abnormalities, allergy to spermicidal jellies or rubber. It is also contraindicated in people who show an unwillingness to learn proper techniques for diaphragm care and insertion;
  • it can't be used in the first 6 post-partum weeks.

Implications

  • Intruct the person in proper insertion technique;
  • Urge the person never to leave the diaphragm in place for longer than 24 hours;
  • Instruct the individual to leave the diaphragm in place for about 6 hours after the intercourse;
  • Advise the individual to use additional spermicide for additional intercourse;
  • Urge the person to adhere to medical follow-up and to have the diaphragm refitted after birth, cervical surgery, miscarriage, D&C, therapuetic abortion, or weight gain or weight loss.

4 comments:

  1. Hello everyone, I was infected with the herpes virus and I got cured of the herpes virus few months ago after i contacted Dr Ero. I saw a post on the internet after i have seek healing for several years from different doctors in California. I sent the Doctor a request for help, just a few email i followed his instruction and he sent me the medication after i paid him. Now i am negative and i referred him to all my friend who had this same sickness and they have gotten their cure too. You can contact him via his email. dreroherbaltreatment@gmail.com . Thank You Dr Ero and text me for further information (650) 653-8578..

    ReplyDelete

  2. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  3. All thanks to Dr. UTU if not for him I don't know what will have become of me today. I married my husband who was HIV positive like myself. We accepted it as fate since there is no cure. Two years after our marriage my life was torn apart when our family doctor diagnosed me of genital herpes virus I know it was from my ex whom I have dated years back. I became very worried because I don't know what will be my husband judgment when he finds out. I searched everywhere both on internet for cure but no success until my husband started suspecting but still he wasn't sure. I don't want to loose my marriage I prayed everyday with hope that there is a cure. I searched without rest blogs, websites, everything google says about herpes and cure and peoples comments one evening after work I was surfing the internet on herpes cure I saw a friend who was giving testimony on how DR. UTU have helped cured her of her herpes virus I immediately contacted her to confirm if her testimony was real. She told me it was. She also told me about African Herbs and Herbalist and Dr Utu. She then gave me Dr. Utu contact, which I contacted him immediately. He told me about his Herbal Medicines and how he has helped many people get healthy with fruits and vegetables and also cured many with his Roots and traditional Herbs, I was interested. He prepared and sent me Herbal medicine for both HERPES & HIV through DHL I used this medicines for both HERPES and HIV carefully as was prescribed by him for 1week and 4days without my husband notice. I waited for a month then went for medical test in a different hospital and I was both herpes and HIV negative I felt reborn. I showed my husband my result and told him everything including DR UTU. He contacted DR UTU who also sent him HIV Herbal Medicine. He used this Medicines for just 8days, then we both went to our family doctor who confirmed my husband HIV negative and me still negative. Our family doctor, Dr Paul is a good Christian and often advice his patients to use natural remedy. Based on confidential he do introduce some of his patients to DR UTU for Herbal cure. If you are sick and want the right Herbal Medicine contact DR UTU on drutuherbalcure@gmail.com.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the big question remains how can we cure HIV? Here is the answer Dr Itua Has a cure and he
    saves my life from misery, I will share this round all blogs so all HIV/Aids patent can get cured
    with this Wonderful Man(Dr Itua) Dr Itua cured my HIV and he also Assures me that he can as well cure
    the following diseases HIV/Aids, Infertility, Lottery Spell, Herpes Virus, Love Spell, Epilepsy, Diabetes,
    Hepatitis, and other health problems, drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and after two weeks
    I went to diagnosis then I find out I was cured and healthy like never before, Here is Dr Itua contact if you are
    a sick person. What's app call.+2348149277967 then Mail. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and to everyone suffer from HIV/Herpes those stubborn virus Dr Itua will give your life Back.

    ReplyDelete