Friday, July 13, 2012

Preterm Birth

"Mommy I'm not yet ready"

A case study about Maternal and Child Health with emphasis on Preterm Birth

Description

  • Refers to the birth of a neonate before the end of 37th week of gestation;
  • Associated with numerous problems
    • All body systems are immature;
    • The extent of immaturity depends on gestational age and level of development at delivery;
  • Preterm neonates between 28 and 37 weeks of gestation have the best chance of survival.

What happened?

  • Preterm birth may occur because of maternal disease that necessitates delivery of the neonate for the health of the mother - example, preeclampsia (gestational hypertension);
  • Preterm birth may also be a direct result of preterm labor.

Assessment findings

  • Inspection findings
    • Low birth weight
    • Minimal subcutaneous fat deposits;
    • Proportionally large head in relation to body;
    • Wrinkled features;
    • Thin, smooth, shiny skin that is almost translucent;
    • Veins clearly visible under the thin, transparent epidermis;
    • Lanugo hair over the body;
    • Sparse, fine, fuzzy hair on the head;
    • Soft, pliable ear cartilage; the ear may fold easily;
    • Minimal creases in the soles and palms;
    • Prominent eyes, possibly closed;
    • Few scrotal rugae (males);
    • Undescended testes (males);
    • Prominent labia and clitoris (females)
  • Neurologic examination findings
    • Inactivity (although may be unsually active immediately after birth);
    • Extension of extremeties
    • Absence of sucking reflex;
    • Weak swallow, gag, and cough reflex;
    • Weak grasp reflex;
    • Ability to bring neonate's elbow across the chest when eliciting the scarf sign;
    • Ability to easily bring the neonate's heel to his ear
  • Additional findings
    • Inability to maintain body temperature;
    • Limited ability to excrete solutes in the urine;
    • Increased susceptibility to infection, hyperbilirubinemia, and hypoglycemia;
    • Periodic breathing, hypoventilation, and periods of apnea.

Treatments

  • Cardiac and respiratory assessment and assistance;
  • Resuscitation if necessary;
  • Maintenance of fluid and electrolyte balance;
  • Nutritional support;
  • Prevention of infection;
  • Assessment of neurologic status;
  • Maintenance of body temperature and neutral thermal environment;
  • Monitoring of renal fuction;
  • Emotional support to parents;
  • Assessment of glucose and bilirubin levels

Interventions

  • Closely assess all body systems;
  • Anticipate the need for endotracheal intubation and mechanical ventilation;
    • Administer oxygen as needed, avoiding concentrations that are too high;
    • Monitor transcutaneous oxygen levels or pulse oximetry reading;
    • Have emergency resuscitation equipment readily available.
  • Administer medications to support cardiac and respiratory function;
  • Institute measures to maintain a neutral thermal environment; anticipate the need for incubator or radiant warmer;
  • Avoid vigorous stroking or rubbing; use firm but gentle touch when handling a neonate;
  • Support the head and maintain extremeties close to the body during position changes;
  • Monitor fluid and electrolyte balance, assess intake and output and administer intravenouos fluids as ordered;
  • Provide emotional support, education and guidance to the mother and family;
  • Explain the procedures and treatments to the parents, allow parents to verbalize their concerns, correct any misconceptions or  erroneous information;
  • Assist with referrals for supportive services.

2 comments:


  1. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world has crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure to the Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetis,Fribroid, Dercum,fibromyalgia,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILLIS,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease.Fibrodysplasia Ossificans Progressiva.You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this e-mail: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219....

    ReplyDelete
  2. So the big question remains how can we cure HIV? Here is the answer Dr Itua Has a cure and he
    saves my life from misery, I will share this round all blogs so all HIV/Aids patent can get cured
    with this Wonderful Man(Dr Itua) Dr Itua cured my HIV and he also Assures me that he can as well cure
    the following diseases HIV/Aids, Infertility, Lottery Spell, Herpes Virus, Love Spell, Epilepsy, Diabetes,
    Hepatitis, and other health problems, drank his herbal medicine for two weeks and after two weeks
    I went to diagnosis then I find out I was cured and healthy like never before, Here is Dr Itua contact if you are
    a sick person. What's app call.+2348149277967 then Mail. drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com and to everyone suffer from HIV/Herpes those stubborn virus Dr Itua will give your life Back.

    ReplyDelete